Social Links Search User Login Menu

Flying 15 News

The UK Flying Fifteen Association spreads the message about the quality of sailing and racing to be had.

All the News!

Memories of Chippendale Boats
FF Editor 2638

Memories of Chippendale Boats

Previous Article Previous Article 2019 World Championships - UK Qualifiers & Attendees
Next Article Australian Nationals Australian Nationals

Chippendale Boats of Fareham built many Flying Fifteens in the early years of the class, a number of which are fortunately still around and highly pampered by their proud owners. One such Chippendale owner is UKFFA President Bobby Salmond who owns Vamoose - F15 627 - and he has been in contact with Eric Harvey who worked as Foreman at Chippendale Boats in it's heyday.

Eric has kindly written an article on his memories of Flying Fifteen production at Chippendale, which is reproduced below.

Another prominent owner of a Chippendale F15 in the class is Brett Dingwall, whose boat Flicka 2 - F15 397 - is even earlier than Bobby's. Included below are some photos of Brett's beautifully restored boat as it is today. But - as anyone who took part in this year's Inland Championships will know - this boat is much more than just a concours queen:- in what was a very-well attended World's Qualifier event Brett sailed Flicka 2 to a superb second place overall, proving that given the right conditions these vintage wooden boats can still be real weapons on the race course.

Memories in connection with Flying 15s at Chippendale Boats in Fareham

Jack started his business in 1947, and took his first order for a Flying 15 soon after, but the bulk of his sales were carried out in the 1950s and 1960s.

Cold moulding was a fairly new method of construction at that time. Having heard of Uffa Fox (a well-known builder and designer of various classes of yachts and dinghies, including of course the F15) he decided to ring him with a view to a visit. Uffa agreed to this so a trip to the Isle of Wight was arranged. On arrival Jack was shown around his boatyard, where Uffa was able to give a lot of help and advice. This information was useful for enabling him to proceed with these craft.

According to Jack’s unfinished autobiography, he notes that double-skinned diagonal veneers were used, timbered internally with copper nails driven through and turned. The idea was that once the nail was in place, the tip was first turned before being bent tight down on to the timber – a neater method than purely bending-over the nail.

According to one of the ex-employees who worked on these, they were made-up of two layers of 1/8” plywood followed by a final skin of 1/8” veneer. It could possibly be that the method of construction changed in the intervening period. I certainly recall veneers being glued and staples being fired through off-cuts to prevent marking the surface of the hull. A staple extractor was then used resulting in grazes to the knuckles as on occasion the tool slipped.

Frank Alexander, one of the employees, recalls accidentally stapling his mentor’s hand to the boat, and was casually told to get a pair of pliers – there was no swearing or complaining about the situation as, luckily, his colleague was a very calm person.

One difficulty was the fitting of the “Crewsaver” buoyancy bags, tucked-up under the side decks, and the comment that they “smelt horrible”.

I seem to recall veneers being purchased from the Isle of Wight, Souters boatyard I believe.

First of all these craft were produced at Lower Quay, Fareham in Hampshire, but after a while production moved to an additional workshop off High Street in Fareham.

At the height of production these boats came “off the line” once every six weeks, and on completion at that stage would be hoisted onto a trailer, and with two men, wheeled by hand down High Street, along part of West Street, left into Quay Street, and finally to the boatyard at Lower Quay (a distance of almost a mile through pedestrians and traffic). On two occasions in the winter of 1963 (the deep freeze) this operation was carried-out in deep snow. Heath and Safety rules weren’t so stringent in those days! The final completion stages were then carried-out at the main factory.

Regarding the rudder, this was a two-part mahogany blade. Housed into this was a ¾” stainless steel rod, cranked at the top to continue vertically through the top of the deck, and three cross-pins at the lower end to eliminate the possibility of the blade rotating on the shaft. The two halves of the blade were glued with Cascophen Resorcinol resulting in a rigid assembly. It was a good, strong waterproof adhesive (not sure if this is still available). I suspect nowadays rudders are of a GRP or even carbon-fibre construction.

I remember an occasion, helping to paste grey International filler to the outside of one hull, and leaving it overnight to set, then finding it had gone-off like concrete. This took hours and hours to sand down to a surface suitable for the next stage in the painting process. Needless to say this type of filler was not used again.

Towards the latter part of F15 production, two GRP hulls were purchased for fitting-out. These were a lot heavier than the wood version. When completed they were shipped to Port Moresly in Papua New Guinea.

One boat was sold to Mike Golding, then Catering Director of Warners Hotel, Hayling Island. I expect if records were checked at Hayling sailing club it would be discovered that he and his wife June (apologies if I am wrong with either of the names) were members there at least in the 1960s.

Another owner was Bill Kempner, who also sailed at Hayling and was a prominent member of the club. He was a Director at Chippendale for a while. I remember helping to lay a floor in the holiday home he owned at Sandy Point, so that he was close-by for his sailing activities. One snippet to throw-in is that he ran a sausage skin business at the time.

There is a vast amount of Jack’s paperwork, at the moment lying in mothballs, at the Maritime Museum in Falmouth. It consists of plans, correspondence, photos etc. The intention is that one day this collection will be put on display – we can only hope. Whether the museum would allow access for anyone to check-through in the meantime I would not know, but I am certain there must be a lot of information and possibly photos relating to F15s.

I hope at least some of this information will be of use to you and your members. Please come back to me if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards

Eric Harvey


Photos of Flicka 2, F15 397 - Owned and restored by Brett Dingwell

Beginning the restoration process:

As she is today:

Jack Chippendale, 1924 - 2012:
Photo: PPL

Rate article

Rate this article:




Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

News Search

To find earlier articles you can either use the search facility or select an appropriate category from the list below.

Sponsors Adverts

Back To Top